Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Matt Walsh: Thank God I Wasn't College Material

Matt Walsh: Thank God I Wasn't College Material

I only agree with this to an extent, but I absolutely believe it need to be heard! I do believe a college degree and the college experience is worth it for many. I don't think we need to boycott college except for doctors and lawyers, but I absolutely believe degrees are frequently obsolete and time spent at college can be an enormous waste.

Part of that is that school has always been an enormous challenge for me. Concepts came easily to me, I could consistently manage passing grades, and teachers loved me, but I hated every minute of actual "schooling" except for the few classes I thrived in. College was a nightmare and my last semester was truly torture: I had multiple mental breakdowns, literally screaming at the top of my lungs because I could not manage putting myself through absolute torture for something that WAS NOT WORTH IT. Tell me it will be useful all you want. It's not. Not for me.

But it's also true for my amazing husband who dropped out of high school to get his Associates (that's a whole different story on the same vein) while his peers were graduating from High School. He was a model college student and almost everything about it came easily. He always figured he would get a Masters until he realized: there was no point. The time spent getting his Masters would be wasted, because he could instead spend his time honing his skills and getting even further ahead in his career than he already is, and he simply could not get that in school.

No comments:

Post a Comment