Sunday, August 21, 2011

To Love

This week, from last Saturday to yesterday, was my family's reunion. We decided to do it "relaxed" this year and do a whole week of stuff but stay at home and such. Haha...it was packed and exhausting! BUT it was so. much. fun.

I LOVE love love love love my family! I am very grateful that I had mostly positive experiences this week, and so many of them, and I was able to remember that I do love them. I never stop loving them, but sometimes I stop having Christlike love for them.

Sometimes I get caught up in the annoying habits and personality traits my siblings and my parents and even my nieces and nephews have. We may be a bit stubborn and strongly opinionated. We may be a bit weird and socially awkward. We may make stupid and pointless comments. We may be impatient with the kids and each other. We may have different ideas of what's important in raising children. We may overlook what's currently pertinent. We may all get so caught up in making sure everything's planned smoothly that nothing gets planned at all smoothly.
But that's okay.

I realized last night that I used to be more loving and accepting to everyone, but somewhere or sometime that ability started getting used significantly less. I started getting cynical instead. I became impatient with people. Those two traits are some I dislike most in other people. So, I decided that I can and will be more loving toward my family, despite how much they may subtly bother me. Or, rather, instead of letting myself get subtly bothered.

Since I started that train of thought last night, I have realized how much happier practicing love instead of annoyance used to make me. Life is beautiful when you don't harbor negative feelings toward others. Those negative feelings don't have to be big, even. I haven't stopped believing that there is no one I hate. I always still loved my family. But so often it is the small things that make the biggest difference, especially as they build up.

So, I will begin again to look for the good in people. I will love them because they are humans with weaknesses, as I am. I will give help and encouragement. I will accept others, regardless of our differences. I will try to be humble so that I can learn from those who can teach me.

No comments:

Post a Comment