A few months ago I had a dream about running. On waking up from that dream I had an overwhelming feeling that I needed to run. So I decided to run a 5K...sometime in the future, probably foreseeable.
I enjoy running, and have for as long as I remember, though I didn't recognize it until a few years ago.
However, I am not in shape. Not only that, but I highly suspect I have exercise induced asthma. Those together make running difficult.
I also spend most of my days alone. So, no one to run with.
I also live in northern Mexico. So, running areas are restricted. We live about a mile or so (meaning less) from one of the more dangerous areas in Monterrey. Our area is perfectly safe...as long as we don't go wandering too far northwest.
Along with that, it just seems weird to be running. It's not like we have a lot of joggers going down our street in the comfortable hours of the morning or evening.
With good reason: every time I spend more than 5 minutes outside, I feel like I need a cool shower. It's so humid here, especially compared to Utah.
But I've decided that:
1) If I'm going to be running a 5K ever, I need to be training for it.
2) I can't be sitting around all day every day. I'll waste away to nothing...or to far too much.
3) I really, really need to get out of the house more often.
4) It's better if I don't have a running buddy, because then I'm not tempted to talk to them the whole time instead of running. (I know this from previous experience.)
5) I can get to know my area well. There are actually some really wonderful tidbits here and there to be found.
So, I do.
And in return, I have been blessed:
1) I get the high that running gives, and I'm slowly learning to breathe again.
2) I feel slightly less of a waste of space.
3) I do more with my day.
4) My head clears up a little more.
5) I've been able to see some really pretty houses stuck in here and there.
6) I found a park! With SWINGS!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment