Thursday, June 16, 2011

Day 22 - Just Dance

Day 22 - A picture of something you wish you were better at.

Dancing

courtesy

I kind of grew up thinking the girls who danced were bad. Kind of like the people who smoked, or watched R rated movies, or got tattoos. Basically, while growing up I formed my own idea of rules that my parents had for me without them ever actually telling me. Some were tied to being LDS, others not. But most were. 

courtesy

Dancing was one of my imaginary rules. As I grew up more, I realized what things were actual rules, and what weren't. Dancing clearly wasn't. It took me a while to really understand that, but once I started dancing, I knew there was no way it wasn't perfectly wonderful.

courtesy

Sadly, I didn't start dancing until I was a teenager. Ballroom dance first, then a little modern dance. If you want to be amazing at dancing, you have few options:

Start young

Be incredibly talented
or
Be ridiculously dedicated.

Probably all three.


courtesy

Ballroom dancing came easily to me, but I was nowhere near amazing at it.
I loved dancing.
The closest thing to it that I know is piano. I'm not amazing at that either, but when I have a piece that I've spent hours on and I have it memorized and I play it without thinking...I look down at my fingers and I'm amazed. I'm doing that. It's gorgeous, it's wonderful, it's a natural high. I love it.

courtesy
Dancing fascinates me. I love watching competitions.
But at the same time, it makes me want to cry.
I want to be doing that. 
courtesy
I'll continue to pursue it, but it's not realistic for me to spend the time I want to to get as good as I want to. So I'll have to be content watching. Which, for the most part, I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment