Friday, March 25
Day 7 – Your dream wedding.
Well that's just silly. I already had it :)
No, really, I did.
Like 85% of girls, I dreamed about my wedding for as long as I can remember. I wasn't so extreme that I had every detail picked out; I did want room to budge where he wanted and to fit my personality when it did come. But I always had ideas, even if they changed all the time.
However, before John and I had talked much about getting married, I had picked out our centerpieces, my bridesmaids' outfits, my flowers and therefore my colors...and those things stayed because it was close enough to the time that it made sense.
I planned and planned and did as much by myself as I could. My Mom was out of town, but if I'm honest that was more of a relief than a burden because I wanted to do everything myself and having my Mom there probably would have just stressed me out. She would stress, and I can't stand people around me stressing because it rubs off on me. I am perfectly fine by myself most of the time, but once people start breathing down my neck I want to strangle theirs.
Some people thought it was amazing that I planned my wedding almost entirely by myself. But really, basically the one thing I do regret about my wedding is that I couldn't be the wedding planner at the same time as being the Bride. The Bride may have the last say in the wedding plans, but in real time, the wedding planner does. Whether that's a professional, your Mom, or your Maid of Honor...the wedding planner has the last say.
Unfortunately for me, I did so well at being the wedding planner by myself that no one knew everything I had in my head well enough to execute it...so they made do with what they had. That part of the planning I realized was essential, but I never got around to explaining all the details, and even if I did no one else would have read them in the moment.
So my wedding was great and had all the aspects that I wanted...but they were done just slightly wrong. That's no one's fault but my own, I realize...but that kind of makes it worse. That means that all my regret refuses to go away even though it's trivial. I could have had my dream wedding...but stupid lack of explaining the details prevented it being just right. So I felt like the whole thing was wrong.
But then I rewind. How did I feel that day? I was absolutely certain that I had the best wedding ever. The important things went without a glitch. We were married, and in the right place. Everyone was happy for us and we had all the support and love from friends and family we could ask for. We felt like we were in heaven. We were happy and in love and blissful. And married.
That's what really counts.







No comments:
Post a Comment