Thursday, June 2, 2011

Day 16 - Still Awesome After the Honeymoon

Day 16 - A picture of someone who inspires you.


My brother Jarom is amazing, and his wife Michele makes him more amazing because she is amazing, and together they're just plain awesome. Like, awe-some. And awesome!

I've had a lot of examples of marriages in my life. Most of them are great, both as examples to learn from and as successful marriages in themselves. I don't like to pick favorites when it comes to family (the source of most marriage examples in my life) because I want to be sure everyone knows I love them...but Jarom and Michele really stand out and they deserve some recognition.

I've always thought they made a fantastic couple, and maybe the fact that they live far enough away that I don't get to see their faults plays a big part in my perception of them, but I think they're an ideal example of a wonderful marriage, family, and life.

Jarom is the well-behaved class clown, and Michele is creative and classy. They're both blessed with the happy, positive, loving personality that everyone loves to be around. They're always laughing, always adventurous, always making everyone around them feel loved and welcome.


Their five children are perfect, even if they aren't always perfectly well-behaved. I think it gives them character. The important thing is that they will grow up to be amazing people. Jarom and Michele have taught them well and taught them right, and most importantly they have loved them completely and unconditionally. So as their kids learn and grow and make the mistakes that are essential to the previous two, they will have the values and structure that their fantastic parents have provided them to fall back and lead them on.

As great as everything else they do is, the thing that inspires me most is the way they treat each other, even after nearly a decade of marriage.


The fact that they love each other is screamingly obvious. They are still as affectionate as I remember them being when I first met Michele. They're not afraid to stop, drop, and smooch, even when other people are in the room. Far from disgusting, it makes me thrillingly happy.


When John and I got to spend Christmas with them at their home in California, I loved watching the way they acted and interacted. Not a word nor whiff of criticism and negativity ever passed between them as far as I could tell. Support and strengthening is the attitude that keeps them going.

Jarom and Michele's marriage I'm sure isn't perfect and has plenty of room to grow...but whatever faults make that true are far from where I can see them. Not only does it make me happy to see my brother so happy, it encourages me that a happy marriage like the one I envision IS possible, even after the so-called honeymoon stage is long forgotten.

2 comments:

  1. That was a beautiful tribute to a great couple. I completely agree. But, I also see many of those attributes in the marriages of our other children. We have a great family. I couldn't be more pleased with my children, their spouses and families. God has certainly blessed us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Creative? Adventurous? Perfect? Although I admit to too much PDA, I have a lot of rebuttals to some of your thoughtful comments. Are you sure you weren't blinded by the brilliant Christmas lights at Deacon Dave's? I think you should come visit us again and get to know us better. We'd LOVE to have you out again!
    Thanks Brin. It's nice to know you like us as much as we like you.

    ReplyDelete